Hello! And say hello to the first warm summer days. I am happy with those days so much and happy that strawberries appeared on the marked this week and why should we not celebrate this? of course we have to celebrate it with a great cake!
Frankly speaking, we got strawberries available in different food stores all year but I can’e eat those imported winter strawberries just because they look great, smell great and taste like water. So we got 2 solutions to survive winter without strawberries:
- To freeze summer strawberries with sugar
- To make strawberries compotes and jams (I will surely talk about this later)
But those are, of course, different things compared to fresh strawberry and that is why I love summer. Here is Russia we got lots of state farms who are only engaged in the strawberries growing, so starting from the end of May lots of fruit stands open near each subway station in Moscow (as well as in other cities) and it is possible to get 1kg boxes full of fresh strawberries. But that is not all. Most of older people in Russia got a hobby- they till the land. Some do it more, some do it less, but most people who is 55+ will do it as it is common to have a small piece of land (usually around 6 ares) with a house and lots of garden-beds. For examle, Daria’s mother lives in 40km from the Moscow all the year and works on their land, growing potatoes, corn, all kinds of vegetables, fruits and berries together with an amazing garden (I will make the post about that for sure in future). That gives us all a great way to get amazing food that had been grown by our relatives and we know for sure that this food is healthy. As result- it is almost 3 month per year when we got access to home-grown strawberries! And nothing could compare with that, NOTHING. Yes, those strawbeiies could look not so great as hotbed-winter grown berries, but the smell and the taste- mmmm….. I am looking forward to the season when I could make great photos of everything that grows at Daria mother’s house.
Just a bit of story-telling, I needed to tell and share that with you. And now, with clear conscience, we may talk about the dessert. I will say just one thing- that is a dessert for the one you love. Fluffy, tender, beautiful and tasty- this is the thing your partner have to get into the bed at morning together with a cup of milk or tea. Make a surprise and you will be so happy when you see the reaction.
- 3 eggs (home temperature- just put into hot water for 15 minutes if they are cold)
- 150gr granulated sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 130gr all-purpose flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 50gr powdered sugar
- 250gr heavy cream
- 2tbsp granulated sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 15 medium strawberries (you may take more or less or take another berries)
- Set oven to 250C (best to have top and bottom heat on)
- Cover a large oven roating pan with baking paper and set aside
- Mix flout, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside
- Beat eggs with sugar and vanilla extract for 5 minutes at max till the mixture becomes smooth
- Add flout mix to eggs and mix with spatula gently
- Pour the mix onto baking paper and spread it so it becomes thin but not very thin (you don't need to spead it on all pan, 5-7mm height will be enough)
- Place a pan into the over and bake for 5 minutes. Actually 4 minutes works too, but 5 will get you to golden colour of a cake
- While the cake is in the oven, take a big piece of baking paper (bigger than your cake) and place on your working surface, powder it with powdered sugar.
- Remove the cake from the oven, turn it upside down and place on the powdered sugar.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the bottom piece of baking paper and you are ready to assemble thr cake.
- Put ingredients together (heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract) and beat for 4-5 minutes on high till the peaks
- Cut the strawberries into small pieces and add to the whipped cream, mix gently
- Pour and spread the filling on the cake with spatula, be gentle as the cake is really tender
- Using the baking paper, start to roll the cake carefully
- Next transfer assembled cake to the matching plate (you may use thin plastic cutting board to transfer such cakes easily)
- Place into fridge for 1 hour and next you are ready to eat it!
- Store into fridge under the cover